Some of us know about REVA. Some of us have never heard about it. I shared this on behalf of Reva team to all the young volunteers working for the event. Thought to share it to general public, so that they know good things we are doing at REVA and the motive behind it. Happy Reading.
1) What is REVA? What is it all about?
In one line, Reva is an event – a festival which is done for the people who need some love,attention,limelight and a platform; from the people who care! Over years, things have changed in Reva. A lot of them.
- We thought REVA as another name of India. After two years we got a meaning to that – Right to Education and Vision for All
- In 2009, Reva was done in Slum Society (nearby BIT Patna) only for the children of the society. There were 50 of them. The next two years saw it happening in the university itself, inclusive of the school children from the public schools of Bihar (they all need that love, attention etc.). In 2011, there were 300 of them! Impressive number.
- In 2009, there was not a formal structure. There were just a bunch of people. Crowded. But doing stuff that matters. In 2011, there was a formal structure. Secretaries, Design Team Heads, Sponsorship Teams head.
- The number of events has increased dramatically. From 3 to 30 to 60 over three years. Thus, increasing the time of the event from 3 hours to 2 days.
- What started with a pure children event has turned to connect Corporates – Indian Oil, Tata, LIC etc, Parents, NGO’s – AID Maryland, AID India, Bal Shanskar Shaala and other segment of the society. We thank each one of them who have joined us over years.
- We have tried to glamourise the event by Reva March, Youngest Volunteer Awards, Main Hoon Superstar.
- Food, Hospitality, Nature of Events, Prizes, People. Every single thing has changed in Reva in just 3 years.
So, this means, every single year, we have changed. We have talked and we have improved. Every single person has worked hard to get that change correct. Get that flow going.
What has NOT changed over years is the VISION- that one liner vision. Till every volunteer, work for Reva just because he/she cares, we guarantee Reva is intact. Till we target those people who need that bit of the warm -touched feeling from us ;we bet, Reva will be the the most premier festival ever done anywhere in the world.
That’s Reva for you. A very simple,yet so powerful event; which is not done by any Engineering | Medical | Arts college of India. It’s just done there – right at your heart.
2) Why REVA? Social Service or any other.
This is most trivial question. Most of the people think that we are doing a social service. Some of them think, that we are competing with Technical festival or Cultural Fest. There are some other thoughts in the mind of people like Glamour, Name, Fame, Free time; which we don’t bother to discuss. They are just shit things to discuss.
No, we are not doing a social service. It’s good to serve for the society. But the main purpose behind Reva is not that. Neither we are competing with any tech fest or cultural fest. They are really cool ones!
Think about a second. In each one of our lives, there is atleast one person who has inspired us. Who has made us, what we are today. Who has just holded our hand and moved with us, in some of the tough times. We all need that THRUST. We all need that one person in life.We think we can be that one person in lives of hundreds of kids (if not thousand!). We can be the Kingmaker of these splendid kids. And we are trying to do the same for 3 years now. What we get is immense satisfaction, a lot of learning. What they get is that little, yet so important thrust and warmth.
That’s why we do Reva. If you are associating to Reva for far different reasons than this, believe us, you are cheating yourself. If you don’t know the reason to associate with Reva now, no issues, you will find you way. Just keep hussling!
3) As a volunteer, I care for people. Is there anything else for me?
Yes offcourse, so many of them. Lots of learning, lots of fun, a reason to approach the world from different way and a great team to work upon. The last one is really important. We are very fortunate to have the BEST of the BEST teams in Reva for contionous 3 years. Every one was a gem! Though truly speaking, Every single entity worked hard in Reva. We feel really proud that how some people came from no where to the team and found a way to life.
If you are really interested go ask, Pradeep Das,Sameer Kumar,Anamika, Saurav Babu, Suman Majhi,Rakesh Singh, Ashish Nayak, TS Balu, Arti Kumari, Priyam, Utsav Chatterjee, Vinay Poyam,Jashanpreet singh, Dhananjay Kumar, Rashmi Beck,Supriya Yadav,Rashmi Varma, Nitesh and many more. Without given any prominent position, without any name, Why did they work for REVA? Go ask them! You will find great answers.
All of them have now more confidence, and enough zeal to make a dent in the universe. We are proud of the Alumni!
4) I am ready? How to approach for the next Reva?
Thank you. Welcome. It’s really simple. There is always a team working for Reva. Reva is generally done in month of January. For your information, here is the team this year. Download here (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzQWrV3uhcymajVfV1kwNVBwckU)
Here is a to – do list:
1) Contact the team. It’s always great to work with them.
2) Force them to give you some important role. Work hard. There is no substutute for that.
3) Push the team. We at Reva have never hesitated to say things that we feel. The reason why we have innovated over years is because we listen to every one, and contradict things that we don’t like.
4) Get the permission from the Director.
5) Coordinate with teachers. Ashish Ranjan is the best person to start with. Though it may feel that, he is dangerous (he is btw!),but he really understands Reva well.
6) Talk about the event. Tell people about that. Tell your family and friends. Invite them to the event, they will feel proud.
7) Never hesitate in calling up a meeting. ANYONE CAN CALL A MEETING. It’s great to talk. You make friends.
8) We generally need a minimum of 2-3 lacs of funding for Reva. There is no better time to go for sponsorship now. Do as hard marketing as you can.Keep the media attention right. Reva march is a good way. Think some new ideas.
9) Alumni’s are important. Not only because, they will also donate to the event, if you are connected with them and they are feeling Reva to be part of their life, but also because they know the event well. They are the last Saviour. So, treat them well.
10) Last but not the least. Keep the spirit up. There are always some UNKNOWN PEOPLE who make Reva what it is. Keep working and Keep looking for such peoples. No team, No event is great without awesome people!
5) I am an Almuni. How can I contribute?
The minimum you can contribute is by Donation. We expect a minimum of Rs. 1000/- from each one of you. But we have seen people contributing even 5K or more. You can also connect with the sponsorship team and see if you can help them better. Ankur Dhanuka is a great example. He connected with 2010 Reva Sponsorship team and ensured that Indian Oil may become a Chief sponsor for that.
But we also need few more things:
– Keep us sending your wishes. It’s never difficult to send a mail with ideas, suggestions or just appreciation. That keeps us going.
– We are on web. We are on Facebook. Website coming soon. Keep liking, commenting and sharing our stuffs. That makes us feel important
And why not plan a trip to your own campus in Jan, during Reva? That will be the best thing to do.
Reva is just because of the vision. Things may change, Vision never changes. We believe, good things can be done, if there is a good team. Each one of us has a unique ability. It’s time to sharpen them. We have been known for QUALITY (over Quantity) and SECURITY and HOSPITALITY (over glamour). We believe you will maintain that in 4th Reva and have fun doing that.
On Behalf of complete Reva team